Bannisters Pavilion Mollymook - Beachside Chic with a Touch of Scandi
It’s no secret that Mollymook is my ‘home away from home’. There is so many reasons why this has become a special place for my family. Perhaps it is the unspoilt beaches, the crystal clear waters, the moody weather, the friendly locals or the proximity to the rolling green hills of Milton. Probably all of these things combined with the addition of so many family memories made here - engagements, weddings and first baby milestones. The original property 'Bannisters By the Sea' holds a ‘special place’ in my heart after discovering it by accident 11 years ago and later marrying here. To be honest I wasn't sure how I would feel about staying in the brand new Bannisters Pavilion, situated in the local shopping strip of Mollymook. I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised, and have now found our ‘new’ family holiday haven for those much needed city escapes with the kids.
Bannisters Pavilion, launched late in 2015, is the stylish new accommodation option in Mollymook. Only a short drive from the original 'Bannisters by The Sea', the new Bannisters Pavilion offers 32 stylish guest rooms and 2 luxurious penthouse suites, with a stunning backdrop of eucalyptus trees, and just a short walk to North Mollymook beach. The hotel on Tallwood Avenue, is the hot new South Coast address, set just off Mitchell Parade and Beach Road. Conveniently located just 900m away from Bannisters by the Sea, guests of Bannisters Pavilion can also use all of it’s facilities including the horizon pool bar, Rick Stein at Bannisters and the Bannisters Day Spa. Everything across both properties can be charged to one central account too, so you can enjoy the two properties if you like, taking in the culinary delights and pampering at one, while relaxing by the pool at the other.
Of course my favourite feature of Bannisters Pavilion has to be the sun drenched rooftop pool bar, lined with sun beds, funky yellow striped umbrellas, private lounge spaces, and a spectacular suspended pool. After a long rooftop breakfast, you can set yourself up by the pool and soak up the morning sun, take a dip, read a book, and ease your way into lunchtime. The new rooftop area is perfectly designed to allow guests to seamlessly move between the pool, bar-and-grill and lounge areas. The sharing menu is inspired by Mediterranean, Southern Californian and Mexican flavours, with some fabulous cocktails and craft beers on the menu. We loved the pulled pork belly sliders, soft shell crab tacos, and the tortilla chips with Mexican guacamole. And while Bannisters Pavilion is wonderful for couples looking for a few days to chill out with a magazine and a cocktail, it is incredibly family friendly too, so that if you do bring the kids, you will still feel relaxed.
While there is no direct ocean views from Bannisters Pavilion, the fabulous sunny rooftop pool bar and the close proximity to the beach more than makes up for this. The bedroom finishes are sleek and modern, with wonderful king beds and a touch of scandi style. The beautiful penthouse suites on the first floor are perfect for a larger family stay, a girls weekend or special event, with two spacious suites to chose from, just a short step up to the rooftop bar. The spacious lobby is light and bright and beautifully decorated with white, cream and black, with a lovely quiet reading corner and some super cute bikes out front ready for you to explore the surrounding areas.
The new Bannisters Pavilion property is actually much closer to the waves (scoring points with one surfer husband), and of course 'North Molly' our family favourite for late afternoon swims. This has to be one of the most perfect places on the South Coast - the headland protects the water, making it a beautiful and calm place to swim in emerald green waters. (Shhhh don't tell anyone). And when you have had enough sun and surf, you can take a short drive to nearby Milton village for some retail therapy and coffee.
Photos by Natalie Hayllar, Eat Read Love
I cannot wait to return to Bannisters Pavilion with the family for a few days and continue with our Mollymook traditions, enjoying our regular spots, while always discovering new hidden gems. I wanted to share some of my favourite things to do for a weekend in Mollymook:-
For weekend escapes
- Take an afternoon swim at North Mollymook beach
- Bike ride along the beach path on Mitchell Parade down to Sth Mollymook.
- Walk or jog up to the Golf Course and down to Collers Beach.
- Take an afternoon drive along Croobyar Road into the beautiful rolling green hills behind Milton. Grab a pie at the Milton Pie Shop on the way back.
- Enjoy a long lunch at Cupitt’s Winery - a taste of France on the South Coast, Cupitt's often has live jazz and growers markets here, a beautiful way to spend a Sunday afternoon in the vineyards
- Coffee at the Treehouse Cafe in Ulladulla, perfect for a pre-movie visit
- Dine at Tallwood restaurant, right next door to Bannisters Pavilion, gorgeous local produce and super friendly staff.
- Sunday night pizza at the Bannisters by the Sea horizon pool bar - you might spot some whales passing by if you are lucky.
- Espresso Martinis poolside at the Bannisters Pavilion Rooftop Pool
- Retail Therapy in Milton - plenty of homeware shops, local providores and cafes for an afternoon stroll. You might pick up some vintage, homewares, clothes and organic produce.
If you are spending more than a week in Mollymook with friends and family then these are some nice day trip ideas too further South:
- Take a short 30 minute drive down south to Bawley Point and Pretty Beach, plenty of Kangaroos, local wineries and beautiful unspoilt beaches
- Narawallee beach has a wonderful inlet for the kids to swim if the tides are ok
- Lake Tabouri is a gorgeous place for swimming with the kids, with some fun sand dunes to slide down. Great for stand-up paddle boarding too.
- Mogo Zoo is a great day out - you can also visit nearby Guerrilla Bay for a beautiful swim or picnic.
- Take a bush-walk on the 'Adventure Trail' in Murramarang National Park on your way to Depot Beach.
Bannisters Pavilion Guest rooms start from $255 and Penthouse from $398. Non-guests can also use the rooftop bar grill, a popular place for the locals and travellers to dine as well.
*I was a guest of Bannisters Pavilion.
*I was a guest of Bannisters Pavilion.